Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Introduction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlotta Monetti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Introduction Reply with quote

Ciao, and everything!

Finally getting up to posting something. Been around the forum a long time and has helped me many timesóso the least I can do is join and maybe write a little. Not being very big with the internet, donít socialize with this being the only forum I belong to. Fact is, donít belong to anything else.

Played Sims from the beginning. Just my opinion, Sims 2 and 3 are not the same game. So Iím a die-hard Sims 1 fan. Iíve played the same family which consists of people I know from the start. Excluding myself, there are three other members. Not getting past Unleashed, early this year I broke down and bought a dog. Before that, I ignored pets and never bothered going Downtown until that point.

I get most of my pleasure from building and decorating. So, as the game grew I reworked my original house many times. Itís on lot 2 with parts off the grid. 31,671sq.ft. 8 bedrooms and 12 baths, decorated something like the 1940s. Still, I always find something to adjust or objects to add. Even though Iíve built many other homes and families, I still go back and play the original bunch the most.

I use two game cheats: rosebud and move_objects. I also have the whole list of programs as well. Thatís more than enough to do what I want. Practically all my hacking involves graphic manipulation, i.e, reworking sprites of one object and applying them to another, then change names so they match with the same count. Donít know much about programming but can use the IFF Pencil 2 a little.

Three months-ago started a project in building I personally never saw before (thatís not to say itís never been done) Wouldnít know? But itís a unique concept. I wonít reveal what it is until Iím satisfied Iím getting the right visual effect Iím pushing after. About 90% complete. Being a perfectionist still could take some time. When done more than happy to share!

Well, if I write anymore wonít be much left to post.

Anyway, love the forum and members and happy I joined! Oh, BTW, no PMs Italiano. Wonít answer. Write English please.

Have a good day,
Carlotta
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're certainly glad that you have decided to jump in to post. We've been having a bit of a lull over the summer, so new posters are particularly welcome.

I'm with you. TS1 is THE game.

MichaeL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Carlotta!

Looking forward to seeing this new building concept. That's the sort of thing I enjoy experimenting with.

smile
Carlotta Monetti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruja wrote:
I'm with you. TS1 is THE game.

Well, Iím not putting-down the other two per se. I think what made Sims 1 great was the fact everything is based on oblique projection. Simple to work with leaving more room for creativity in every area. Plus the fact so many people have spent so much time developing programs and such, itís really hard to ignore. Critics of TS3 have already labeled it as being a bit ďgirlishĒ. Most of the CC Iíve seen revolves around a cute-girl persona which makes the usual statement, ďI canít be a princess, but create one and pretend I am.Ē That can be done with Sims 1, but TS1 has a warmer feel. It promotes imagination in the same single element as a child with a primitive toy, and the capacity to contrive fun in any direction regardless of the player. The other two are telling you how to play by their invention, not yours.

Carlotta

MichaeL wrote:
Looking forward to seeing this new building concept. That's the sort of thing I enjoy experimenting with.

My project is not about building only in itself. I think my aim was an artistic concept to capture the feel of a lifestyle and layout that goes against the grain of the gameís original intentions. May be a while. Few things to iron out I'm not satisfied with.

Carlotta
MichaeL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlotta Monetti wrote:
My project is not about building only in itself. I think my aim was an artistic concept to capture the feel of a lifestyle and layout that goes against the grain of the gameís original intentions. May be a while. Few things to iron out I'm not satisfied with.

That sounds just as or even more intriguing.
Carlotta Monetti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MichaeL wrote:

Thanks. I'll just have to see how everything goes. I'm such a perfectionist with certain things involving art.

Carlotta
KarinL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, Carolotta!

Sims 1 is by far the easiest of the three to play around with and create...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carlotta! So glad you have posted and hope you continue to enjoy the sims and the forum.
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlotta Monetti wrote:
That can be done with Sims 1, but TS1 has a warmer feel. It promotes imagination in the same single element as a child with a primitive toy, and the capacity to contrive fun in any direction regardless of the player. The other two are telling you how to play by their invention, not yours.

And there are so many ways that people have found to "play". Huge numbers of players love the building and decorating aspect, almost to the exclusion of any other interaction with the game.

The relative ease of making custom content for TS1 has allowed and is allowing people who never thought of themselves as being particularly creative or artistic to begin with simple things like new walls and floors, then branch into recolours and finally into new objects, or into skinning. Meshing and hacking were reasonable next steps for those who had some background or were willing to learn. And along the way, many of us found that we had discovered new and transferable skills, from becoming proficient in graphics or 3D modelling program use to learning to communicate in a new language.

If you have been observing the community for a long time, you have also probably noticed how many people with illnesses or disabilities have found ways to use the game to provide some distraction from current miseries.

An open-ended game has so much more to offer than a defined goal game.

Carlotta Monetti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MichaeL wrote:

Well, MichaeL, it appears you wonít be seeing any of my conceptual work. I deleted a post with a question that may be controversial which appears to be since I can remember, and received no replies.

As stated earlier donít socialize and this will be my last post. However, I will see my project through until completed, after which will print screenshots and frame them. Also, will send a few to a well-known architect in this field for the purpose of authenticity of the subject and opinion.

No ill feelings. Just go back to my private work and pleasure.

Take care one and all, been fun,

Carlotta
MichaeL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: