Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Short ribs with black beans

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Short ribs with black beans Reply with quote

Too tired from gardening to do much cooking for tonight, so I lined the bottom of a cast-iron casserole with beef short ribs, seasoned with a bit of garlic salt, celery salt, chili powder, and black pepper. Then I added the half can of black beans left over from Tuesday's black bean salad, a large onion (diced), and a can of whole Italian tomatoes, covered it, and shoved it into the oven at 350 F.

Going to serve it with baked potato and broccoli.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to know - especially how tender the ribs get when cooked like that. I keep running out of cooking ideas and Dad can't chew much with his dentures.
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a properly preheated oven, they would have been good with 2+ hours at 325F. I started too late, and they were chewy after 80 minutes at 375F. The flavour was good, but would have been better with longer to mingle.

I'll make them next time when I'm doing 2 or more oven dishes at once, on a weekend, when electricity is cheaper.

Time-of-use electricity pricing has made me a much more efficient cook. If I make 2 or 3 roasts or casseroles on a weekend, I have hardly any work to make dinner the rest of the time. Just preparing the fresh veggies, most of which I cook in the microwave.

So if I bake a ham and a roast of beef, that's 4 meals. Then I can pull from the freezer a lemon chicken casserole from 3 weeks ago for 2 more meals. The other meal is usually fish - or an omelette, if I have left over asparagus or spinach to combine with cheese. I take the few extra minutes to whip the egg whites separately, so the omelettes are high and puffy, almost like a souffle. I make them in an electric skillet with a lid, which gives me perfect temperature control.

Some of the roast beef is frozen in gravy for a few weeks hence, and the ham, which doesn't freeze well, usually disappears into sandwiches. I never both making gravy the first time I cook a roast, but I keep the fat and pan juices to make gravy later, with the water from boiling potatoes and carrots, etc. Then I have some to freeze the left over meat, because it keeps better if only the liquid is exposed to the bit of air that i can never get out of the ziplock.

17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belong to Dream Dinners so I basically prep most of my months dinners all in one day. It sure saves time!
TheIms3
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan my meals about a week at a time. My mom cooks Tuesdays and Wednesdays, so that's nice. I like to do things ahead as we, like roasting a couple of chickens ahead, or cooking a large number of chicken breasts at once. I also like doing soups--I have a couple that everyone really enjoys, and I make a giant pot. Then we have it for dinner one night, breakfast or lunch for a couple of days, and then dinner one more night. I like to set my bread machine to its dough cycle on those days, and then make a nice whole grain loaf or some rolls to go with the soup. Soup days are great, because I can be out and about and busy all day up until 5pm or so, and dinner is all ready.
One thing we've been doing lately is using a lot of different grains with meals. I've been cooking up a mess of something like wheat berries or quinoa and then use them throughout the week in cold salads, put them in soup, or use them in place of rice for stir-frys and things. They are our new favorite, and our local natural food store sells organic grains for well under $1.00 per pound.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away, Behold, the new has come."
2 Corinthians 5:17
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to do a pot roast of beef yesterday afternoon, letting it simmer while I napped after a strenuous morning of dancing followed by all the little errands. I peeled the potatoes and the carrots, and prepped the broccoflower. before I crashed, so when I woke up the meat had simmered with onions, spices, mint vinegar, etc for 3 hours. I turned on the burners under the potatoes and carrots, and when they were cooked, I put the broccoflower in the microwave. Voila! dinner with healthy fresh veg in no time.

There's enough roast for tomorrow's dinner, and also to freeze for a time in a week or two when I'm busy. Tonight, we eat wax beans, buttercup squash, and the rest of the ham I roasted on Tuesday, and Monday is looking to be an omelette day.

I"m doing well on making sure we get at least 2 fresh veg each lunch and dinner. Not so well on shifting to whole grains; we're still looking for a whole grain bread recipe we actually like. And although I don't eat the huge amount of meat that i used to, I still eat more than the experts recommend.

Right now, I'm trying to cut back on bread and pastries. Giving up smoking many years ago was easier, I swear. My husband wanted something to do on a rainy day last month, and pulled out his bread machine. Sour cream/poppy seed was first, then a super cranberry and nut loaf, which will get a little cinnamon and nutmeg added next time.

17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad had me buy him a bread machine for his recent birthday. He hasn't had one in years but is enjoying fiddling with it. Unfortunately, due to the dentures he says, he doesn't like whole grains so I don't get to eat them often unless I eat out or buy something at the bakery just for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Cuisine All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: