Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sugar Cookies?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
patchover

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown Sugar Drops

1 cup shortening
2 cups brown sugar packed
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk or water
3 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp soda
1 tsp salt

Mix shortening, sugar and eggs thouroughly. Stir in liquid.
Stir flour soda and salt together ...
Blend into sugar mixture. Chill 1 hour at least

Heat oven 400 Drop round teaspoonful of dough
2 inch apart. Lightly greased baking sheet.

Bake 8-10 min.. or till no imprint remains when touched lightly

Makes 6 doz

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notworthy Thank you!
patchover

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hug Glad to help

In 1963 I had saved coupons and got a Betty Crocker Cooky Book..

That is how they spelled it too floorlaugh

I love it still till this day... I read what you asked and ran into the dining room for the shelf. I found it clap

jmrcrp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patchover, I think my mom had that book! I seem to remember the "cooky" floorlaugh

Yes, a lot of rolled or shaped dough cookies call for chilling the dough before you roll or shape it. Some don't, though. It just depends on how sticky it is.

Yesterday I made pecan snowballs. I used a new recipe because I just felt like trying something that might be better than the one I've always used. My son couldn't understand why I did that, he wondered why I was doing something different from "the way it's always been done". But I was never completely happy with my old recipe - the cookies tended to fall apart during the process of rolling them in powdered sugar, and they could be very "tough" sometimes. So I looked at a bunch of other pecan snowball recipes and found one on cooks.com that looked like it might be pretty good. It was! Much better than my old recipe. Here it is:

PECAN SNOWBALL COOKIES

1 c. butter
3/4 c. confectioners sugar
2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. pecans or walnuts, chopped
Bowl of confectioners sugar for rolling

Cream together butter and confectioners sugar. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well to form cookie dough. (Easiest to use hands.) Form into small shaped balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees 12 to 15 minutes. Check for light brown color after 10 minutes. When completely cool roll in confectioners sugar. Yields 3 dozen cookies. This recipe can be doubled.

I found that it actually made 6 dozen, but I make them pretty small, less than 1 inch diameter. I baked them for 11 minutes and they still got a little too brown on the bottoms, but of course the powdered sugar you roll them in will cover that up! laugh I also used a scant 1/2 tsp salt rather than the 1/4 tsp it calls for. The pecans need to be chopped very fine.

As I have been doing with all the cookies, I froze them after they were done, until I make up the cookie gift boxes next week. Freezing doesn't hurt most cookies, and it will keep them very fresh - when you thaw them out it takstes like they are fresh baked!

Next I have to bake more chocolate chip cookies because somebody keeps raiding the freezer! floorlaugh
patos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cousin, who was a cook on the barges that go up and down the Mississippi River, gave me that book many years ago for Christmas. I love it but don't think I will ever make it through the entire book. I don't have that much of a sweet tooth!!! laugh blush
jmrcrp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patos, that sounds like a fascinating job! The riverboats are/were so much fun, too bad they are disappearing.

The sugar cookies (Alton Brown's recipe and method) turned out to be a disappointment, they were the worst of all the cookies I made this year, and I didn't even serve them to guests or include them in the cookie boxes I gave to friends. The flavor is very bland, and they were difficult to roll out in spite of the powdered sugar. So I think I will do some more "experimenting" through this coming year and see if I can come up with something that I really like, so I will be able to make some really good ones for next Christmas.

The brown sugar cookies sound delicious, and I'm certainly going to try that recipe!

We had so much fun with the baking this year that my son wants me to start baking more often throughout the year, so we always have homemade cookies around, instead of store-bought. biggrin
patos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm. Sounds delicious but not just now. Put on too much from eating while in the US visiting family. blush laugh
Ludic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my favorite sugar cookie recipe that I make every year. They are soft and tasty and get rave reviews. Sorry it is too late for this Christmas!

Sugar Cookies

1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 Tablespoon vanilla
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Blend in eggs and vanilla; mix well. Stir together flour, salt and baking soda; mix into sugar mixture until well blended. Chill 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350.

Divide dough into quarters. roll out one quarter on lightly floured surface to 1/8" thickness. Cut into shapes with a 2" cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Sprinkle with sugar.

Bake for 5 to 8 minutes until cookies are barely browned at the edges. Cool on wire rack.

The original recipe calls for rolling out like you want to do, and I think the first time I made them, I did it that way. Now I stick the dough in my cookie press (without chilling it) so I can make my tree shaped cookies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Cuisine All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: