Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Expansion Pack Compatibility

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Expansion Pack Compatibility Reply with quote

(Related Thread: What does "No EP" mean?
http://simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=80 )

In the General Forum Yersinia was chatting and brought up a common point of confusion:
Yersinia wrote:
If all they say is, for instance, LL Required, HP Required, SS Required and so on, I don't even bother to download unless I actually have that EP in my game. But sometimes I see things like "Required: HD or higher."

Each expansion brings new stuffeth to the game. Some of that stuff goes into a far file called ExpansionPackShared.far Other stuff goes into the far file for that particular expansion. (ExpansonPack3, for instance)

As Maxis made the game there were some "basic" files that each expansion pack inherited from the EPs that came before it. They would then build on those files - adding more to them before passing the file on to the next Expansion Pack.

Some important examples: the global.far file and the ExpansionPackShared.far files

Any objects using resources (constants, bhavs, skins, animations, objects, sounds...) in those files will have an "or higher" label. For example:

Most o f our semi-global files did not exist in the game until they were introduced with the Hot Date expansion pack. Lighting Globals, for example.

Once Hot Date included LightingGlobal.iff in the global.far file it stayed there. Vacation has it Makin' Magic has it. Any light that requires it will work in any EP released after Hot Date because they all inherited that semi-global from their "ancestor" EP. That includes Deluxe even though is says it's an equivalent of the original game and Living Large EP

The light requiring LightingGlobals.iff WILL work for someone with Deluxe and will most definitely not work with someone who has the original game and Livin' Large installed. A light cloned from a deluxe game would even crash the Living Large game, come to think of it.

All of this makes it pretty difficult for an object maker to be sure how their object will behave in different game configurations so those EP labels you see on things are really a guideline. The only way to be positive of anything is to test it for yourself and I don't now anyone who's able to set every configuration up for testing. The most I've ever heard of is 3. For m'self I stick with All and None LOL. I don;t have any deluxes but have one game with all Expansions and another unpatched game without any expansions installed. How my objects work in-between and with Deluxe is often a mystery - I go by 'best guesses' from what I have seen in the code, the game and knowing how people work in general.

Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yersenia, you mentioned having skipped a few EPs - may I ask you some questions about what works in your configuration and what doesn't?

I'm mainly interested in what works without HouseParty installed. Hot Date and Houseparty seemed to be closely linked and they were made pretty early on so I'm always uncertain what works when you've only got one of them installed.

Dancefloors, for instance, were introduced with HouseParty but when it bought Hot Date the downtown danceclub did have dancefloors installed - does that mean they work for you (that you have the dance animations and props)?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: