Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Winter Lady (paint by numbers) Challenge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Challenges and Contests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
annettebrks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarinL wrote:
I spent most of the day painting walls - one of those things that make me wish I was a Sim and could just point a brush at the wall, hold down 'shift' and be done with it. laugh laugh

I've had that thought myself a time or two, when some appliance broke down, thinking that if I was a Sim, I could just delete it and put a new one in! That, or remove free will so I could get the hubby to Fix It Now instead of whenever he got around to it... laugh
ruthml

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's definitely an area where life should be like the sims!

J_Fanning

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally gave a real skinning attempt a try (other than Scooter's Apron laugh ), not using Sims Creator. I like the way it turned out and found it incredibly easy to do! surprise It may be the fact that this wonderful tutorial\challenge came with such detailed, step by step instructions, and the great skin map to "color by". So now I am trying to see if I can do one myself surprise . I am making my own color map to use so that I will color the right parts right, as my first attempt on the Winter Lady didn't look very nice. I was quite puzzled as to the placement of the belt, buckle, and scarf! So I want to try another skin or two to see just how my attempts are. Do you often do this? Make your own color map before creating, coloring and tailoring, so to speak, a skin? I found the method used in this tutorial to be so easy that it can't be this easy to make or recolor skins, is it?
Well, here is my attempt: http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm184/JEFanning/my%20sims%20creations/B0g9fafitlgt_JEF2.jpg

I can't get it to show my picture again, and I am using the last line of code under the picture I have posted in Photobucket. Now what am I doing wrong? laugh

(edited by mod to give link)
mdamlady

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See your line code above!!

Take out the [img] at the beginning and the [/img] at the end.

When you copy the line of code from your photo bucket just paste to the response box - don't hit Code That's putting that extra bits in your line!!

Just go back and edit your post and your image will show up!!

Like this:

Gorgeous BTW!!

DAM Sim 1 Objects 2

DAM Sims 1 Objects 3

DAM Sims 1 Objects 4
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J_Fanning wrote:
I was quite puzzled as to the placement of the belt, buckle, and scarf! So I want to try another skin or two to see just how my attempts are. Do you often do this? Make your own color map before creating, coloring and tailoring, so to speak, a skin? I found the method used in this tutorial to be so easy that it can't be this easy to make or recolor skins, is it?

Yes I make something like the colour map for most skins I work on, or alternatively I save a lot of selections in PSP.

Before you start making a skin, make a uv Map, in your preferred skin making size. (Mine is 512x512, most of the time.) Body Warp is the program which will do this for you. Then make a colour map using the uv map as a guide.

Yes, it is that easy to make a skin - once you've found your way around the mesh, looked for problems in the mesh (MJ makes flawless meshes, but not every mesher did), and figure out where you need to place the shading for the effect you want.

btw, it took me many hours drawingboard to write the tutorial, because I wanted it to be accessible to beginner skinner.

Your skin is lovely. clap Are you going to post it for download? yes

J_Fanning

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been able to get Body Warp to work on my computer running Vista, so I've never really explored the program. I'll have to try to see what I can do to fix that problem if I can use it to do this, lol. laugh
I was so amazed at how easy and seamlessly it (recolouring a skin) came together. You did a GREAT job on the tutorial, notworthy as I was awestruck at my own progress, how simple it was to follow (even using Photoshop), how detailed it was, and how easy it was to recolour this skin! thumbsup (even though I know it is NOT easy to recolour, the tutorial was so good, I walked away thinking it was the easiest thing in the world, lol no ) It was so good I just tried to sit down afterward with a favorite skin and tried to create the color map for it, but when I began to look for a nude bmp for it, I did not have one, even though it was clonable. surprise So I'm going to hunt down the nude bmps before I try to begin again, lol. Perfect example that skinning is NOT easy blush I think I'll try to get Body Warp up and running and try to learn a little about this program before I try again (do you ever get the feeling that you spend more time [i]learning[/i] another program before you get into the "meat and potatoes" of actually [i]creating[/i] jfade's psycho
I will most certainly share , if you will give me a day or two to put together the zip file. Thank you for showing me how to do this! Now I want to go back and try all the challenges and see if I can succeed with those before I get too crazy and try something like create my own uv maps or something..... whistle
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to work in 512x512 pixels, the nude fa bmps for all skin colours (except pale) are in the zip with the colour map in post 4 or 5 of this thread.

All the nude bmps except pale can be extracted from the game using Skin Doctor or FarOut. I resized them to 200% to use myself. Working in 256x256 doesn't let you do the detail as easily as I like.

I'll look up the link for the pales tomorrow, if you need them.

J_Fanning

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for poiinting me in the right direction for the nudes, lol. I was thinking (here I go again, watch out! laugh ) about just loading up Sims Creator, picking the skin I liked and then stripping it, and saving it. I thought this would be a great way to get nude skin without having to go seaching for them.
I DID get Body Warp to work for me. It had worked all the way along. blush I just didn't have any docs for it. Sim Show is the one that would not work. So, now I've played a little with BW, and other then creating a uv map, Simpose seems to be able to do all of the things you want it too. But with NO documentation, I'm not too sure how to use the program, so I need to do a search of all tutorials on using the thing. laugh
Which far folder /file do I find the Maxis only skins that I may extract from the game? I'd say any skin redone that is a Maxis skin, should be a safe bet and I should not step on anyone's toes, so to speak. The challenges you have here are nice for the fact that you don't have to worry if the skin you are using is okay to play with and you can show off your work. thumbsup Who wants to spend all that time on something to only not be able to show it off? wink
Here is my Winter Lady for your downloading pleasure!

Thanks Denise for fixing the post for me. hug
J_Fanning

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOPS! blush Here is the file! Sorry! Thanks!
J_Fanning

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I did get Body Warp to work and have used it to create UV maps. But how do I convert these into body maps to use? The reason I ask is I am not very good with drawing graphics, but with the maps I think I could use it to create my own paint by numbers maps. I just can't figure out how to match them up to the skins to use it to teach me how to draw clothes using these color maps. Where do I go from here?
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J_Fanning wrote:
Okay, I did get Body Warp to work and have used it to create UV maps. But how do I convert these into body maps to use? The reason I ask is I am not very good with drawing graphics, but with the maps I think I could use it to create my own paint by numbers maps. I just can't figure out how to match them up to the skins to use it to teach me how to draw clothes using these color maps. Where do I go from here?

The body map I made for the Paint By Number Winter Lady are only a very simplified version of the uv map produced by Body Warp.

To see how to make your own body map, you need to look at:

1. The uv map
2. The bmp made by the original mesher or another skinner for that mesh
3. An image of the bmp on the mesh. Usually sites offer a jpg.but it's even more useful to use SimPose, so that you can see all parts of the skin-on-mesh from all angles.

About the uv map: if you are using the default colour scheme, anything on the magenta part will not show on the finished skin.

If you look carefully at the WL PBN colour map, then the uv map, you can see where on the actual uv map each part of the skin has its texture.

You can do pretty much the same thing by looking at a uv map, the SimPose skin-on-mesh, and the original skinner's skin bmp. There's a little more trial and error here, but it's ll good practice.

You'll discover that the vast majority of body bmp's have very similar texture mapping.

I thought I'd posted all over the place about the basic steps in starting a new skin, but I had to go back to a copy of a post Raeven saved from another site of my good and bad habits.

Quote:
Following a tip from another skinner, I got into the GOOD habit of beginning every skin by opening a new image file with a transparent background. This means that every other layer can always be moved or deleted ( in PSP8, which I use).

I then routinely add the UV map of the mesh I'm working on as the next layer, and put the lgt nude on top of that. I use the lgt because it's the easiest to see through when it's made partially transparent. I always renamed the uv map layer to 'uv' and the lgt layer to 'lgt'.

I've quoted that from a thread of good and bad habits a lot of us contributed to at the old Green Sims. Here's a link to the thread as copied here when the old Green Sims was dumped by ts old space provider. http://simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=927

You make the colour map by using your selection tool to select the part of the uv map (you don't need the nude showing) that contains the sleeve or belt. On a layer labelled 'sleeve', flood fill with any colour. Then select another part of the map, make a 'belt' layer, and flood fill with any other colour. When you have all the parts of the skin which are not magenta (but only those where you don't want the nude skin to show), then you can save the layered map, then save a copy as bxxxmafat colour map, and flatten it, so that it is a single layer map like the one on the WL PBN. The best place to put the colour map is between the transparent bottom layer and the real uv map, which you will want for delicate placements.

You will find that it's not always necessary to make the colur map, but once you've made one, it's very handy to have to go back and use the magic wand to select your flat colour so that you're working in the part of the image that you want.

J_Fanning

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! That is how you do it! surprise Now it makes sense!
Let me tell you where I am now: I started with a nude maxis bmp, and with the uv map, a tutorial about making my own skin, and alot of trial and error, I finally made a passable first attempt. I had the uv map open beside my skin, using it as a guide, but now that I know this, I think I can go back and re-do it a little better (your tip about the uv map). I almost have it, lol. laugh When I named my skin, I wasn't sure how what to name it, and then by looking for it in Simpose, I could not find it, but I could using BodyWarp. It didn't look too bad, but it helped me to see the relation between the naming of the mesh and the naming of the bmp. I found I could alter the look of my skin using any mesh, although some meshes do not work well. jfade's psycho I finally realized I could name it any first four letters/numbers I wanted it to and it would show up on that mesh, although, as I said, sometimes with funny results. laugh I just wasn't getting that, when it came to naming the skin, even after reading the thread about naming skins. blush I had to do it myself and see the results for it to click. whistle My one attempt at making my own color map did not work out well by just eyeballing it, although it wasn't too bad. no I studied the uv map quite a bit but most was greek to me. I may take the color map, skin and uv map that went with the challenge, lay them up together and play with the opacity until I can see the connections between the three. This has put all object making to a screetching halt, as the skinning bug has bitten me and after seeing my own results, I think I can get the hand of it without using the Creator program! thumbsup Just a little more practicing and studying. whistle
One more question...when you start out from scratch, making your own skin, how in the world do you make those huge gowns on a flat surface (2D) and make it into a 3D image? I get how the skin bmp is stretched over the mesh frame, and the same with the clothes that are close fitting. But a gown is not close fitting, so how do you make the image that will stretch out over a frame that is truely bigger than the original skin surface? Am I making sense? As this 2D/3D thing really is new to me, and art and drawing is not my thing (boy I am ambitious wanting to do something like this when I can't draw in RL) I am puzzled on how to do this. I know I should just make a uv map for a gown and study the difference between the uv map and the actual skin.....wait, that IS what I should do, isn't it? blush
And I need to read the post you directed me to. It looks like, by just skimming it, I could learn a few helpful hints if I do. I sure appriciate the help with this and my silly questions, that the answers must seem obvious to you, but are like a name of someone you haven't seen for a while...on the tip of your tounge but it doesn't come to you until AFTER you have finished talking to the person and being too embarrassed to say "who are you", missed a chance to visit with them. That is where I seem to be. It is on the tip of my brain and I am almost completely there, but it is driving me nuts until I figure it out. laugh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Challenges and Contests All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: