Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lovely bread recipe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheIms3
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Lovely bread recipe Reply with quote

Right now in the Twin Cities it's about 10 degrees below zero, with a nearly -40 windchill. Both kids have a cold, and we spent the day holed up at home. I made a huge pot of chicken soup, popovers, and a brand new recipe for bread.
I love some of the "artisan" type breads, with the rustic texture and the chewy crust, etc. However, I have no interest in spending an entire day mucking around to make a single loaf. Generally, I make our bread following a basic recipe, with whole wheat flour, some oat bran, some flax meal, etc. It's a nice bread, two rises, easy to handle dough, but it's really just a basic sandwich bread.
This new recipe is wonderful--almost identical to a ciabatta loaf, at least the ciabatta that the bakeries around here make--a wonderful crust and a porous, light texture. When it rises for the last time, on the cookie sheet, it doesn't rise "up", it spreads out and gets kind of flat.

INGREDIENTS

3 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon salt
6-9 cups all-purpose flour

DIRECTIONS

1. Add the sugar and yeast to the warm water and let proof.
2. Stir in 4 cups of flour and beat until smooth. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
3. Beat in the salt and then add enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough. Knead until as soft and smooth, adding flour to make it easier to handle. Turn in a greased bowl, cover, and let double in size.
4. Once doubled, punch down. Place back in the oiled bowl, cover, and let rise.
5. Once doubled again, punch down and form into three fat "footballs." Grease heavy cookie sheets. Place the bread on the sheets, cover with a towel, and let rise.
6. Once risen, mist with water and place in a preheated 400 degrees F (230 degrees C) oven. Mist loaves with water once in a while while baking--I don't have a mister, but I sort of flung water at it with a basting brush. You can also put a pan of water on the rack beneath it instead. Bread is done when golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.

It's a very mild flavored bread, and we used whipped butter on it. Olive oil and herbs would also be excellent. It is a dough that would also be very receptive to additions, such as herbs, cheese, or dried (rehydrated) fruit. It's also the perfect canvas for making garlic toast.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away, Behold, the new has come."
2 Corinthians 5:17
patchover

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yummy I am gonna make that tomorrow.. We have a freezing rain possible here.. but no snow or any of what ya'll deal with hug

thanks2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Cuisine All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: