Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TV Object

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximum411

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: TV Object Reply with quote

Hi. I am making a TV but I want to change the color of the remote. Is this possible? If so, how would I go about doing it?

Thanks,
Max
ruthml

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the remote - being something held in the hand by the sim - is a prop. This means you would need to extract the bmp and make a copy and then recolour it.

Implications of doing this: If you kept the name of the bmp the same as the original, then your new remote would show up everytime a sim changes channel on any TV.

If you change the name of the bmp so that only your TV has this different remote, then further hacking is needed in the TV iff file so it will recognise the new prop. This is not difficult but is an extra step to consider.

Actually, to do that, (and this is from memory, so if I miss a detail, someone else will correct me I hope), information on props entered into an object will require the cmx file name and the bmp.

The way the game recognises the prop files is thus: the cmx contains the information about what type of skn (mesh) to use and inside the mesh on the 2nd line, there will be the information about which bmp is required, thus the 3 files are linked together. By changing the bmp name, you need then to also copy the cmx and skn files, and change their names so you can enter in the new bmp inside the skn file. Otherwise the game will still look for the original bmp because it's calling on the original cmx & skn files.

As for where the props for the TV remote are found - ? animations far? I'm guessing here.

Raeven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruth, you are thinking of bodystrings for Sims ... those list the CMX and BMP.

For a new remote control prop Maximum needs to extract all 3 parts of the original (the BMP, the CMX, and the SKN) then rename and modify all three. The CMX and SKN files can be modified in a normal text editor (like Window's Notepad)

Inside of the renamed CMX you need to edit line 5 so it has the CMX's new name and line 10 so it has the SKN file's new name.

Inside of the SKN you need to edit line 1 with the SKN files new name (it's said this is not needed but I do it) and line 2 with the BMP's new name.

The BMP you'd recolor in your graphics program.

Inside of your new TV, using iffpencil, you would edit the STR#304 resource. Replace the line that has Maxis' remote control with the name of your remote control. This must match what you put in line 5 of your CMX.

When you install these files you can put the remote control files in the same folder as the TV or you can add those three files to your Skins directory.

maximum411

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ruth and Raeven I will try this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: