Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help please? Cloning a SSOW cash register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diamondnell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Help please? Cloning a SSOW cash register Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to T-Mog and have succeeded in creating cash registers that crash my game. Can anyone help me find step-by-step instructions for cloning an object like SSOW's cash registers that have an object and NPC in one iff file?

I tried to follow Don Hopkin's tutorial on cloning a flamingo and apply it to the cash register. Apparently that was a mistake... blush

I read and failed to understand Wilf's Sims Stuff's tutorial on Cloning objects with NPCs. Do I need to learn about GUIDs to clone these cash registers?

Any help would be much appreciated... thanks in advance!

mtaman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't any Maxis objects that have an object and NPC together. They have to be cloned separately and then have GUIDs changed so they recognise each other.

The SSoW cash registers are EZ-Clone objects meaning that the register and NPC can be cloned at the same time and will recognise each other. Raeven had to put them together herself. It is not something that an "newbie" could easily do themself.

If you want to clone one of the SSoW registers, when the Clone Object File window opens, click on the Select All button and both the register and the NPC will be cloned together.
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Posted same time as Mtaman smile )
You're probably just missing the simple step of clicking the "select all" bar or button on Tmog before you clone.

The best tutorials are right at SSOW. If you try a few of those they are great grounding and will give you far more understanding of what's happening than the flamingo one (that we all start with).

Later, you might want to look at my grocery delivery NPC tutorial. I tried to make it more user friendly than Wilf's although Wilf is one of my old mentors that I owe a lot to:

http://simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=334&highlight=grocery
diamondnell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mars and mtaman. I did click the "Select All" button before cloning, but later wondered if that's what I did wrong, so it helps to know that was the right thing to do. Apparently I messed up somewhere else along the way.

So, just to make sure I understand correctly, pressing the "Select All" button takes care of the GUIDs so the register and NPC recognize each other?

Mars, I'm wondering if I need more understanding of T-Mog before I'm ready for the SSOW hacking tutorials. The one on customizing NPCs by editing the bodystring (STR#200) using IFF Pencil 2 was helpful, but it assumes you know how to clone. I also glanced at the entry level hacking course in the Sims College archives, but even that looks advanced compared to what I'm trying to do (the Precursor states it won't cover cloning). Does SSOW (or anyone else besides the T-Mog one) have a basic tutorial on cloning? I didn't see one in the Woobsha Workshop.

I guess I'm going to try to recreate a register starting with a fresh SSOW one. This time around, I started with the ones I had already mucked around with before I understood what "cloning" meant. (Apparently, not "copy, paste & rename" blush -- which helped me create some lovely new cashiers, but of course they defaulted back to the oldest one in the catalog so only one would work at a time). So next time, if I focus on getting it to work first, maybe I can eliminate whatever error I may have made trying to get it to look good.

Thanks again!

17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try reading this one and just do the clone step:
http://sas.planetthesims.gamespy.com/bwsost/1tmogtut/page1.html

Just a thought, did you use a magic cookie number? If you didn't, that might explain the crashes as an ID conflict rather than something you did wrong.

Edit: Link fixed by mod
Raeven

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do I need to learn about GUIDs to clone these cash registers?

Learing about GUIDs is not needed for workig with SSoW registers in particular but an understanding of what GUIDs are is needed for object making in general.

GUIDs and MAGIC COOKIES

The game identifies objects by their GUID number, not their file name or buymode description.
GUID stands for Global Unique ID. The "unique" bit is important.
If each object and sub-object (tile) does not have a unique number the game does not know which one to use.

thumbsdown Copy-paste-rename makes an exact copy of an object, GUID and all.
thumbsup Cloning programs (Transmogrifier, in your case) make a copy but give the object a new GUID so it is a new object in it's own right. They also pick through the coding inside looking for references to the object's old GUID and make the appropriate changes so the object can still identify itself.

Since our cloning programs only know what's happening in our own computers YOUR t-mog wont know what GUID MY t-mog assigned to the lamp I made last week and may use the same GUID for your register. No problem as long as the two objects are kept in separate games but if I download your register for my game then my game will have my lamp and your register using the same ID number and when I try to place one on a counter my game wot know if I want the lamp or the register.

To prevent this each creator is assigned an ID number as well. That's called a magic cookie. The cloning programs use our magic cookies when creating GUIDs for our objects. Since my magic cookie is different from your magic cookie our GUIDs will never be the same. Mine will always have EF 51 in the center. Yours will never have that ... it'll have your magic cookie instead.

See Also: Sim College's GUID Exercise for more explanation of magic cookies and GUIDs

CLONING

In most cases you will not click the Select All button when you clone an object. Usually you choose the one that you want to clone.

The following does not apply to IffSnooper (Mac)

In Transmogrifier, selecting the object you wish to clone and clicking the Clone Object File... button (see ELH fig 1.1) will make a clone (copy with unique GUID) and place it into the Downloads/Transmogrified folder. (If you do not have a "transmogrified" folder it'll create one). You can move that iff file out of that folder to any other you like.

T-mog strips away any graphics that your object does not use.
T-mog does NOT strip away extra thumbnails or any coding that your object did not use. T-mog was created for people who want to modify the look of an object and that is what it focuses on.

Object making tutorials will explain the different settings you should use when exporting sprites (the object's graphics), how you can make changes to those objects and how to import them again. Hacking tutorials focus on the function, not form, so wont have that sort of information in it.

In rare cases, such as SSoW's EZ-Clone stuffeth and Maxis' punchbowl or food files, there will be 2 (or more) objects bundled together in a single Iff that are meant to work together. In this cases, you'd make sure all objects that need to be are selected - For EZ-Clones and the punchbowl I just use the Select All button for that since they are the only things in there. For food files I pick out the specific ones I need manually (group meal + single plate, for instance) and leave the rest behind. (See ELH fig. 1.5)

Other third party programs were not made to take into account that multiple objects might be placed into a single file and will tell you the object is corrupt when it is not - this is most common with Sim Categorizer since that is such a popular program.

diamondnell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

17mars wrote:
http://sas.planetthesims.gamespy.com/bwsost/1tmogtut/page1.htm

This link doesn't seem to work. I did find the Planet Sims site, but can't seem to find a section with tutorials. Can you tell me what section it's in?

17mars wrote:
Just a thought, did you use a magic cookie number? If you didn't, that might explain the crashes as an ID conflict rather than something you did wrong.

Yes, I did get a magic cookie and use it for the cloned registers. So I think I did mess something up, but I'll try recreating one and see.

Thanks for your help!

diamondnell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raeven wrote:

In rare cases, such as SSoW's EZ-Clone stuffeth and Maxis' punchbowl or food files, there will be 2 (or more) objects bundled together in a single Iff that are meant to work together. In this cases, you'd make sure all objects that need to be are selected - For EZ-Clones and the punchbowl I just use the Select All button for that since they are the only things in there. For food files I pick out the specific ones I need manually (group meal + single plate, for instance) and leave the rest behind. (See ELH fig. 1.5)

Other third party programs were not made to take into account that multiple objects might be placed into a single file and will tell you the object is corrupt when it is not - this is most common with Sim Categorizer since that is such a popular program.

Thanks for this info, Raeven. I think this will help me make more sense of what it is I'm doing by cloning.

Your cash registers were a great idea! I'm looking forward to playing with them eventually smile And other SSOW goodies as I found your site recently and have been on a downloading spree! smile smile smile Thank you for sharing your creations.

17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That tutorial that the link was for came from Bunny Wuffles School of Transmogrification. One the chair recolour, just follow the steps for cloning.
Raeven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondnell wrote:
17mars wrote:
http://sas.planetthesims.gamespy.com/bwsost/1tmogtut/page1.htm

This link doesn't seem to work. I did find the Planet Sims site, but can't seem to find a section with tutorials. Can you tell me what section it's in?

The url is just missing an L at the end

http://sas.planetthesims.gamespy.com/bwsost/1tmogtut/page1.html

The link for the index of tutorials is
http://sas.planetthesims.gamespy.com/bwsost/bwsost.htm
Mars has linked to the first tutorial in the Progressive Tutorials section entitled Recoloring Made Easy

diamondnell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, after all that, it turns out my cash registers are fine! rolleyes

There's just something squirrely with my game when I go downtown. I figured it out when the same thing happened (game crash) when I went to a different lot. Apparently the game doesn't like it when my Sim arrives downtown and doesn't *immediately* find something to do and move off the tile he arrived on. I guess it wants to generate neighbors on that tile. Anyway, I usually send my sims off immediately, because usually I have a purpose for sending them downtown. But while I was testing, I just left them with nothing to do while I went to investigate the new cashiers and then... crash! So if I just give my Sim an errand everything's fine. And I have some great new cashiers thanks to Raeven!

Thanks everyone who helped. hug At least I now have some good sites to try for tutorials!

Raeven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful! thumbsup
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: