Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Corned beef in the crockpot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruthml

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Corned beef in the crockpot Reply with quote

here, in Oz, corned beef or silverside is a piece of topside that's been salted. So I assume it's available in other countries? I like to cook it this way so it doesn't stink out the house and I can get lots of meals from the corned beef & the cooking liquid.

Put your piece of corned beef in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil. Drain, then put into the crockpot with 1 onion studded with 3 cloves, 3 bay leaves, 2 celery sticks (don't chop) and 2 carrots split in quarters but not chopped. You can also throw in other herbs like stalks of fresh parsley (save the leaves for parsley sauce), thyme etc. Add enough water so it's about almost but not covering the meat. Turn on crockpot and cook on high for about 5 hours.

Close to serving time, microwave or boil some potatoes, plus other vegetables like onion, carrot, green beans, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, peas etc. You could add these vegetables to the crockpot but I've never figured out the cooking times, so I end up cooking them separately at the end. The vegetables are traditionally plainly cooked. Serve with a white or parsley sauce, and other condiments like mustard, horseradish etc.

Make a white sauce in the microwave :

1 heaped spoonful of flour, 1 spoon full of butter/margerine. Put these in a microwave-proof container, - a glass pyrex jug is ideal - nuke for 20secs and stir to make a paste (the roux). Using a balloon whisk, whisk in 1 cup of milk into the roux and nuke in short bursts of 1 minute, whisking between nuking until the sauce is thickened. Be careful it doesn't boil over. Add nutmeg, salt, pepper & fresh chopped parsley if you have it (that makes it parsley sauce).

If you don't have a microwave, you'd have to make the white sauce on the stove in a pot - melt butter, stir in flour, gradually stir in milk, stirring to dissolve any lumps and bring to boil to cook flour & thicken sauce.

Don't throw away the cooking liquid from the crockpot. Strain and use this as a very flavourful broth to make soup. Just throw in lots of chopped vegies and any cooked beans like kidney, chickpeas, lentils etc. Of course a little bit of chopped leftover corned beef can be added to the soup. Because I like to make soup with the cooking liquid, that is why the first lot of water is discarded to draw out some of the salt. I also flavour the cooking liquid with herbs and vegetables rather than the standard vinegar/sugar from traditional recipes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Cuisine All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: