Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In need of a base for a car
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pyro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: In need of a base for a car Reply with quote

So I just spent all night making the graphics for a Chevelle that can sit in a Sim's driveway (or garage). I have the graphics all finished, but I don't know what to do regarding the base object. I know there are some decorative cars already out there, but I only know specifically of the ones at 7 Deadly Sims... I don't know what their cloning policy is, and I'm a little leery about cloning somebody else's car, because from what I've heard, some cars will actually set your Sim's home on fire! surprise

So, does anyone know where I could find a nice, non-flammable base for my Chevelle? Hopefully one that will allow me to post said Chevelle on my site for other people to download?
sim_addicted

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: other option Reply with quote

You could always stick loads of smoke alarms everywhere. But to be perfectly honest, I haven't seen too many car bases out there, so you either wait a long time for someone to post something, or you take a risk and see what happens.
Poetica

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret Society of Woobsha has the perfect base for you. It's 3x6, 2-rotations, and will not burst into flames.
http://www.woobsha.com/betterdecor03.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's perfect! laugh Thank you so much.
Pyro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Chevelle "finished", but when I go into my game I can't find it on the buy menu. What's wrong? I checked in Tmog and it says it's listed under "Decorative" and "Miscellaneous" and "Outdoors", but even knowing what the price is (so where it should show up on the list), I can't find it at all. Why is that? How do I fix it?
Raeven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three common cause of items not showing in buymode are

* Object ID conflicts
* too many downloads in your game (making it stumble a bit)
and the most likely cause this time:
* You've not closed T-mog.

Transmogrifier needs to be closed before you copy (for backups) or zip or run a program that uses that iff file. I have no clue what the programs doing in there but it's not until the program closes (and you should wait a tick or two after it seems to have closed) that the file is actually able to be used.

If it's too late and Tmog's eaten one of your OBJD resources (and probably inflated the file size) you can just re-import your last set of sprites ( Ruth discovered this notworthy ). The OBJD information is all in the XML that T-mog made when you exported.

IMPORTANT NOTE (read me FIRST)

Along with the OBJD information, however, are the original X/Y coordinates. I saw from other posts that you've gone through and adjusted those. That work WILL be lost when you re-import.

But, if you have IffPencil, you can save it.

Before re-importing, open your file in iffpencil, highlight all of the DRGP resources and click CTRL+E to export. Check the second option and it's child option so that you are exporting all of those DRGPs into a single iff file. It does not matter what you name the Iff File because you are basically just storing your X/Y coordinates somewhere safe. Now close IffPencil. Open Tmog and do the re-import. Close T-mog and you can (using IffPencil) import those DRGPS back in.

If you don't have IffPencil it may be simpler to just note your co-ordinates and put them in again but IffPencil's really handy to have around, even if you are not planning on doing any "real hacking".

Pyro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can't be a case of my having too many downloads--I only have two or three other downloads in my game right now. And I always close T-mog before I start the game--I learned that the hard way, back when I had a slower computer and it took 10-15 minutes for Sims to start up.

I have no idea what you're talking about with OBJD's. In my experience, all you need to do if you had T-mog open when you tried to play Sims is to close T-mog and restart Sims. That's always fixed the problem for me, with no need to re-import anything.

So maybe it's an ID conflict. How do I determine if that's the case?
Raeven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyro wrote:
I have no idea what you're talking about with OBJD's. In my experience, all you need to do if you had T-mog open when you tried to play Sims is to close T-mog and restart Sims. That's always fixed the problem for me, with no need to re-import anything.

Yes, as you have pointed out you did end up closing T-mog in those cases. If, however, T-mog is not shut down properly it does not "close out" the file properly.
This is one of the threads while we tried figuring the problem out. It may list some of the symptoms but also contains wrong guesses as we detectived it out. I believe there's a few more thread around the same time
http://simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?p=3830

Here is one thread on object ID conflicts
http://simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=817

Pyro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so. I downloaded the Object ID program used in your link, but it didn't find any problems. Cloning the Chevelle to give it a different ID made no difference. I even went back and re-imported the sprites on the off chance that for some reason that really was the problem, but that didn't help either.

You know, I did edit the DGRP in IFF Pencil kind of early on. It didn't occur to me that those edits could be a possible cause because the only thing I did was change the sprite index from 0 to 1, or 2 to 3, etc., in a few specific places. I didn't make any other changes to any part of the file, it was just those numbers. Could that have been enough to cause this kind of problem?

If somehow it is, what else can I do to make my car look right? I made those changes because I didn't have a rotation for the back; instead of having front and back rotations, I'd have SE and SW rotations in which the license plate always read correctly (it wasn't backwards half the time, which it would be if I used the same sprites and flipped them for the other rotation), but I had to make a couple changes to the DGRP to tell it which images to use so that the license plate would read correctly. I didn't see any other option.
Raeven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think editing the DRGP in that way would cause this, no. (When I have typo'd why editing DRGPS I end up with other problems).

Does the original base show up in the game? Perhaps this is a problem inherited from that headscratch

I'd be more than happy to pop your car into my game and see if it shows up there (which would, of course, make this all FAR too weird)

AH!! I just thought of one more thing.
Is there a working CTSS resource inside of object? This is the one that has the name and buymode description. I THINK if it's missing the object might get left out of buymode.

EDIT: Just loaded the game and the base shows up in my game ok but a problem inherited from it should not be ruled out.

Last edited by Raeven on Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Pyro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the base does show up in the game. What is the CTSS resource?
Raeven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTSS is the Catalog String.
That is the one that houses the name of the object and the buymode description.

For that object you would see it as CTSS 2000 in iffpencil and in T-mog you'd know it as the spot you edit the name and buymode description.

Pyro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. Well, that part's perfectly fine. Carried over from the original 100% and shows up in both T-mog and IFF Pencil.
Raeven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm all out of ideas :)
Actually there was one other vague one but it seems unlikely since the base shows up in the game.

I noticed some of the sub-tiles in the base are "build mode type 4" when the object as a whole is not. I remember Peter (who made the mac program for cloning and editing iffs in all sorts of ways) chatting with a few people about how the buildmode type should not be set to anything if the object is not categorized as a build mode object. But those conversations centered around IffSnooper (the program he's written) rather than the game.

That's seriously stretching of course but it's the absolute last scrapping-the-bottom-of-the-barrel glimmer of an idea I can come up with. Someone else is bound to have more suggestions in the morning.

My offer does stand to try it in my game, though.
You can upload the file here in this thread or PM it to me

ess

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's one other thing you can try. Actually there's two things.

First, you might want to use Sim Categorizer and ensure the object is catted exactly as you've expected it. I've often lost objects in buy mode because they were only showing up under the "infinity" subcategory. In Sim Cat, they would be catted as Decorative, for example, but were not labled as "Painting", "Sculpture" etc. I don't know how to do that in T-Mog..

The only other thing I can think of (if that doesn't work), is to redownload the base from SSOW, and start over. I hate to say this, but I have discovered over the past few months that some of my objects aren't showing up in my game. I guess the files were corrupted, and my own backups weren't working either. I had to either redownload the originals and replace my broken ones, or, in the case of objects that are no longer available for d/l, recreate them myself using the original graphics and a different, non corrupt base. I know its a pain dealing with the x/y coords, but maybe you can combine the above advice with this and fix your Chevelle ?

Ess
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: