Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pillow-be-gone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Pillow-be-gone Reply with quote

I want to make my own pillows for a bed. Well, actually I did make them but when I view the bed their bed pillow lands right on top of the pretty ones I made.

I tried to cover their pillows by blanking out the sprites by "yellowing" over the pillow. Now the pillow shows up yellow! How can I get rid of their pillow entirely?

17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not very good with graphics but I think you have to deal with A's and Z's too. I would think the instructions we have here somewhere on making a painting backless would explain better than I can all the tricks for making them invisible and you might see what you're missing.
But then, I'm no expert. Beds are pretty complex.
Good luck! Can't wait to see it!
Madoria

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is a maxis bed clone it has separate sprites for the pillows -
for sleeping and for messy and for ready and for made bed...
pillows in 4 states... rolleyes

made bed pillows is the ones you prolly need to take away
( yellow the made beds pillow sprite totally, whiten the z buffer for the same one and blacken the corresponding alpha)

This is why I love Ruth's 2 rotation bed so much !
Pillows are included....

http://simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=2265

Susanne

Barbee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the yellow but I must not have used the right formula in the transmogrifier because I didn't get the white and black sprites. I didn't check for that.

I'll try it again next time. I recolored the pillow and I'm using it the way it is but it's a shame because the pillows beneath are so cute.

Thanks, Madoria! hug

TheSimsGuestRoom400.jpg
 Description:
bed
 Filesize:  37.91 KB
 Viewed:  2042 Time(s)

TheSimsGuestRoom400.jpg

Raeven

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I tried to cover their pillows by blanking out the sprites by "yellowing" over the pillow. Now the pillow shows up yellow! How can I get rid of their pillow entirely?

Mars is right, you need to work on the Alpha Channels to fix this.

To work on Alphas you need to use different export settings in T-mog.

Now there's a rather huge consideration (problem) here.
While you want all of the alpha channels to remain as they are expect for the pillows you need to change ... Tmog does not know this! With the wrong settings you will ruin the rest of your bed's alphas. (this is because those settings tell T-mog to redraw all of the alphas for the small and medium zooms and that always ruins multi-tiled objects). With the correct settings your alphas all are safe but you have to do 3 times the work. IT IS WORTH IT, especially in this case where the change you are making is tedious but simple.

When you export your bed in transmogrifier you must

1) uncheck "Just Change Colors" and
2) check off "All Zooms, All Channels" (the last option)

That will give you 9 times the sprites that you have been seeing (which is pretty overwhelming!!).

You'll have the same set of sprites you have become familiar with plus a set in medium zoom and another in small. Those are the P sprites.

You'll also have two other full sets. One is the "z sprites" which are a grey-tone image on a white background. The last, and one you are intested in is the A sprite which is a white image on a black background.

Identify all of the pillows' A sprites (including medium and small zooms) and blank them out so they are all black. You now have invisible pillows.

Raeven

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you make work differently and use different programs this may not work for you but here's how *I* handle tedious jobs like this.

* First I'd make a backup of the bed before exporting (before t-mog is loaded in). I always do. Anything can go wrong.

* Secondly when exporting I would UNCHECK "Create SubDirectories". This will dump all 4 bazillion sprites into one folder instead of organizing it into bitesized pieces. Sounds counter productive, I know, but it makes the rest of this possible.

* Third I would do a search (find file) in that directory (only this directory ... not the whole computer) using the keyword "pillow". This will give me a list of all of the pillow related sprites (p, a and z).

* Fourth I would copy that entire list to a separate (new) folder. There I would run a second search using keyword "_p.bmp". This lists all of the P sprites which I'm not working on so I would highlight this whole list and delete it. I would run a third search for "_z.bmp" and delete those Z spites as well since those are also not being worked on. The only thing left in the folder now is a bunch of "pillow" sprites ending in "_a.bmp" and ALL of these are sprites you need to change (blank out)

* Fifth, I'd fire Photoshop up and make a simple action that (with the background set for pure black) Selects All and deletes and then closes the image, saving it with the same name. Once the Action is made I would run it over the whole batch in that folder
(File --> Automated -- Batch...)

If you do not use photoshop and have no automated way of doing this then you can open them one at a time and blank them out. The searches I ran earlier are still helpful (to me) in this case because I don't have to hunt-and-peck through a loooong list of files looking for the right ones to open.

* Sixth copy all of those pillow alphas you just changed back to the original sprites folder, overwriting the old ones.

Re-import and that's that! Once you are sure there were no mistakes you can delete that "working folder" you made.
Still a little bit tedious but if you can automate the batch it's actually pretty quick despite the fact that you are changing so many files.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: