Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Here's the Pumpkin Carving Party!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Challenges and Contests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmarie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you're saying and it makes sense, I just don't know why it's hapening because I'm not doing anything differently than I did on the front.

anyway...now I lost the 104 sprite all together. I mean, I don't know what happened but when I hit paste it just disappeared and wouldn't let me undo it sad

laugh

OK...I'm giving it one more try from the beginning. laugh
mmarie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When you click paste, the picture that is pasted is the last one that was stored in your buffer - which in your case appears to be the front sprite

No, actually nothing gets pasted. it just flips to the front view and nothing gets pasted to the back at all.
Yersinia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Pumpkin Carving for Mac Reply with quote

Raeven wrote:
Yersinia wrote:
(And I think it was Raeven who told me that too! And she's a PC/IFF Pencil hacker!!)

The key part there is hacker.
Your trouble with hacking is a lot more likely trouble with hacking than it is translating between the two programs. Everything I know of IffSnooper is from poking through the same documentation pothers have available, after all. The same requests for more information, for detailed manuals and what have you come from PC people too.

I'm definitely not going to argue this suggestion. I only just started getting into this within the last few months, and prior to the tiny little baby motive ad hacks I started out with on the Garage Sale objects, I have no background in hacking (or computer science) of any kind. So if my real issue is difficulty with hacking itself, as compared to difficulty learning to use my hacking program, I wouldn't consider that an unreasonable explanation at all. In fact, I find that when I read (and re-read), in Sims College and in Hacker's Hideout here at SO, lines of code with "translations" of what the code is saying: while it makes sense to me at the time I actually read it, I don't seem to retain that kind of knowledge for the next time I encounter code. I'm not sure yet if this is because I just need more practice, or if this is the kind of stuff my brain just won't handle no matter how hard I try -- or how much coffee I drink while I'm "in class" at Sims College. laugh But I'm not ready to give up on it just yet.

KarinL wrote:

I have not found a way to do that with IFF-Snooper... Maybe I'm missing something, though?

Because I discovered that a cloned object has the same GUID as the original, I figured that with simple objects cloning didn't give you extra benefits over copying... You still have to add your cookie manually.

So I use 'subclone' when it's needed, but I rarely use 'clone'. I just open the object from a folder and save it to my desktop. Then when I'm done I change the OBJD and rename the object.

I do have a Magic Cookie and I use it all the time. :D It's a neat one, the centre digits of my GUIDs are B8B8 which I think is *so* cool... Yeah, I'm childish, I admit it... LOL!!!

Karin

To get IFF Snooper to always use your cookie automatically:

File---->Clone
Edit----> Cookie. Now you can enter your cookie number (the six digit original).

And yes, I also thought it was cool to see my cookie (C2DB) in the cloned object's GUID. I've only cloned three objects so far, but after the first one (the game's cheap chair for the Sims College lessons), which was when I entered my cookie as above, C2DB showed up in the GUID automatically. I guess I'm "childish," too? laugh

~Yersinia.

"Hand over the coffee and no one gets hurt."
Raeven

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offtopic
Quote:
while it makes sense to me at the time I actually read it, I don't seem to retain that kind of knowledge for the next time I encounter code.

Tutorials effect me the same way.
I had to think up projects and start working on them to understand the bits that I do.

The reason the Sims College Entry Lesson is so brilliant is that you are following the tutorials (and originally you had a boring week between lessons. People would get bored enough to fiddle a little. that helped them) but at the end of lesson four you are told to go forth and create.

THAT is when you actually learn everything in the four lessons. You end up having to go back and re-read everything and this time it's not a lesson it's 'just' reference. it's a wildly different feeling and whatever the object you end up with afterward you know without any doubts YOU created it (unlike the new chair which is a byproduct of the lesson)

Yersinia, would you repost those thumbsup instructions into a new thread in the Object Making forum so other Mac users can find it in future?

Yersinia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raeven wrote:
offtopic

Ooops. Sorry. blush

Quote:
Tutorials effect me the same way.
I had to think up projects and start working on them to understand the bits that I do.

OK, maybe I'm not as stupid as I was beginning to think I was, especially after this morning's "discovery." I mean, if you had this sort of thing happen to you when you read tutorials, since you succeeded in learning hacking, then all I need to do is to just keep at it.

Quote:
at the end of lesson four you are told to go forth and create. THAT is when you actually learn everything in the four lessons. You end up having to go back and re-read everything and this time it's not a lesson it's 'just' reference.

Then I need to get un-lazy and actually print out (or save to a text document) the Sims College lessons (plus Peter's BHAV tutorial). It's kind of a pain to have to keep going back to the website when I forget something I thought I'd learned or want to check on something quick.

OK, enough about hacking studies, sorry I posted all that stuff in here, and,

Quote:
Yersinia, would you repost those thumbsup instructions into a new thread in the Object Making forum so other Mac users can find it in future?

Yes, I'll do that.

Thanks Raeven.

~Yersinia.

Raeven

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yersinia wrote:
Ooops. Sorry. blush

laugh I was not scolding you. I was giving others a warning that MY post was not on topic so they did not bother reading it if they were not interested in the turn the conversation. The angry-eyebrows "offtopic" picture is not the version i swould have picked given the choice but it was the only one i saw in the list. smile

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, since we don't snarl at posters, we do need a different off-topic. (and I'm off-topic............ jfade's psycho )
Raeven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHOOHOO! Last day for inclusion in the pumpkin carving kit but I've got my entry in under the wire! smile

EDIT: Well looks like it wont let me add the zip on :)

Raeven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

celebrate wave celebrate

Thanks so much everyone!
The Pumpkin Carving Kit has a total of 11 pumpkns!!
GREAT JOB!! thumbsup

You can find download it from the Trick or Treat forum

2007 Pumpkin Carving Kit

mtaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please feel free to continue to post your decorative pumpkins. Even though they missed the deadline for this year's kit, they could make it into next year's. thumbsup
KarinL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Yersinia"Then I need to get un-lazy and actually print out (or save to a text document) the Sims College lessons (plus Peter's BHAV tutorial). It's kind of a pain to have to keep going back to the website when I forget something I thought I'd learned or want to check on something quick.[/quote]

Oh, I know - I always feel so stupid when I have to ask something that I *know* was already answered.
I now have a text file on my desktop somewhere where I try to paste useful information when I see it...

But I agree with you, that it is a matter of perseverance to learn this hacking business. :) Or object creating/recolouring. Or skinning. :)

Looking back I'm glad I didn't ask Raeven to take out my pumpkin. It's a bit out of place, but I feel I should still proud of it because it's the first time I actually did a bit of *drawing* with the Gimp. Sort of like a 'personal record' that comes nowhere near the National record, but still something new I learned. Who knows how well I'll do next year, and then it will be fun to compare and see how far I've come. :D

And the same applies to hacking. If you'd told me last year that I would spend three seconds taking an EP check out of a picture today, I would have thought you were crazy...

So you're right, the secret is to keep going. Never give up, never surrender... :D

Karin
Yersinia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarinL wrote:
Never give up, never surrender... :D

biggrin Ah, another Galaxy Quest fan, hmmm? I had to go watch that again just now!

bluesage

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed Galaxy Quest, too. biggrin

As kind of an afterthought,
Savage Sims offers a Pumpkin Carving Station. wink

http://downloads.savagesims.com/index.php?db_id=1&cat_id=1&display=10&p=getcat&rowstart=220

It rewards you with neither pumpkins or gnomes, sad
but the animations are cute. smile

Also, I can`t seem to download it, at this time. dry

Enjoy! laugh
'
KarinL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Pumpkin Carving for Mac Reply with quote

Yersinia wrote:
To get IFF Snooper to always use your cookie automatically:

File---->Clone
Edit----> Cookie. Now you can enter your cookie number (the six digit original).

~Yersinia.

So what you do is clone the file. Open the clone. Use edit to enter your cookie and the GUID changes.

What I do is open the OBJD resource of the original to change the cookie and then save the file to a different place (usually my desktop) and I have an identical copy with my own GUID.

I don't see the added benefit of cloning. I can't even find a way to make Snooper remember my cookie - ever time I hit 'edit' I have to enter it again manually...

Karin
Yersinia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Pumpkin Carving for Mac Reply with quote

KarinL wrote:
I don't see the added benefit of cloning. I can't even find a way to make Snooper remember my cookie - ever time I hit 'edit' I have to enter it again manually...

Probably there isn't, at least not when the object you're hacking is someone else's (i.e., say you wanted to apartment hack a couch from, say, a Parsimonious set, and me with that Cheap Frills Martial Arts Mat), just to customize them for our own individual games -- but it would seem that if you're going to either hack game objects you like except for the fact that they don't give skills fast enough or fulfil your sims' needs enough; or use game objects as bases for something "brand new" of your own, you do have to clone it to "get it out of the object.far."

On IFF Snooper and the cookie, you should only have to enter it in once (the Edit, enter cookie). I did it once, and, OK, I've only cloned three objects so far, but after the first one when I entered it, my cookie automatically showed up in the GUIDs of the other two without my manually entering it. You shouldn't have to repeat going to Edit every time you clone to make sure your cookie is in the GUID.

~Yersinia.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Challenges and Contests All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: