Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Here's the Pumpkin Carving Party!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Challenges and Contests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, I agree.

Everyone's pumpkins are so different. Love the individualization.

mmarie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe I did it! I made a thing! My first one!

well, after seeing everyone else's I will say I made a practice thing laugh

now I'll work on one I would actually want someone to see!

Thanks so much for the instructions and inspiration!
ruthml

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay for you Mmarie!! please post a pumpkin for us to join the fun!

17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray!
After your pumpkin, check out the spooky bookcase challenge. I couldn't believe it when I managed to do that one but it was far easier than I imagined.
KarinL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Pumpkin Carving for Mac Reply with quote

elizabrook wrote:
(And is it for Mac beginners or just PC?)

I don't know whether this is necessary, but I thought maybe a Mac-version of the tutorial could be helpful?? So here's my stab at writing one... :)

For Mac, open your chosen pumpkin in IFFSnooper and chosse 'export - sprite images'. Wait for the files to be copied onto your desktop. Then close IFFSnooper and don't save the file (just click 'cancel' if the program does ask).

Edit the sprites in your chosen paint program. You only need to edit the large p-sprite, leave the a-sprite and z-sprite alone.

For IFFSnooper you will actually have to edit the p-sprites in all three sizes, but I think (not sure, but I'm going to try) that should be able to just take your large sprite and shrink it to the required sizes in your paint program.
It would be impossible to do this otherwise, IMHO - not with hand drawn objects...

So shrink your p-sprite, rename it to frame-medium-front-p.bmp and use this sprite to replace the p-sprite in your folder. Do the same for the 'small' size p-sprite.
The medium is 68 x 192, the small is 34 x 96.

Replace all three 'front' p-sprites for all four sprite groups in your sprite folder.

When you're done, you need to import the sprites and let IFFSnooper encode them for you and provide the new PALT resource.
To do this, just select 'import - sprite frames' and select your entire sprite folder that's on your desktop. The sprites will be bunched up in a file called 'new resources' - transformed into SPR2 and PALT resources.

Now in my experience, IFFSnooper doesn't clone like TMog (providing a new cookie and such) so it's not really necessary to clone the original pumpkin file. Just make a copy with a new name.

Now open your renamed original pumpkin file in IFFSnooper.
This time, disassemble the file (export - disassemble). All resources will be put in a folder called the same as your object, but with a bullet in front of it.
Replace all the PALT and SPR2 resources in your object resources folder with the new ones from your 'new resources' folder.
You can just drag them into the folder and overwrite the old ones, or take out the old and then put in the new - whichever you're more comfortable with.

Open IFFSnooper again. Select 'import - resources' and then select your object resources folder which now has your new sprite resources. IFFSnooper will make a new iff-file on your desktop.

Open this new iff-file and go to the OBJD resource. You need to edit this resource by putting in your own cookie so that IFFSnooper can give your object a new GUID.
Check all your DRGP resources to see if the sprites were all imported OK and save the file.

That should do it. thumbsup

I hope this helps, and please correct me if I said something stupid - because I'll be following my own tutorial to do this... laugh

Karin
KarinL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I did it... surprise
It isn't really very special, but then, I'm 'graphically challenged'... laugh

Now let's see if I can get it submitted without mishaps... whistle

Karin

PS After a few edits:

Well, I managed to get it uploaded properly...

But it's not really anything special, just a few lines... I can't draw in a paint program if my life depends on it, but it gave me a chance to try something new with The Gimp (which I've been desperately trying to master...)
Please don't put it in the kit with all those other lovely items, the poor think would get an inferiority complex... LOL!!!
Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH!! Well there I go doing things before coffee again!
I Somehow missed that last line <cough> and it's already incorporated into the kit along with Mamasoul's updated version and Nickie's wonderful entry :)

Personally I think yer not giving it (NEARLY) enough credit but if you reeeeeeally want I'll remove it.

I'm with Mmarie. I've done one practice run through and plan on having a second try at it for my real entry. Or maybe i'm just stalling until it's too late. Wouldn't be the first time!

Perhaps we can convince some of the others to share their object makin' secrets with us in the object making forum!

Yersinia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Pumpkin Carving for Mac Reply with quote

KarinL wrote:
elizabrook wrote:
(And is it for Mac beginners or just PC?)

I don't know whether this is necessary, but I thought maybe a Mac-version of the tutorial could be helpful?? So here's my stab at writing one... :)

Mac instructions are always necessary (Sims College is giving me some hell because of the IFF Pencil to IFF Snooper translating I have to do and can't say I'm really all that good at, plus IMO we could really use a full "owner's manual" of sorts for IFF Snooper that tells us what every single feature actually does with clear definitions) -- so thanks for posting this for the benefit of Mac Simmers everywhere. Not being "into Halloween" any more than I'm into learning graphics programs, I'm not doing a pumpkin myself, but for some reason I tend to be interested in what you post smile so I popped over here and saw this. Cool. Just one thing though, if I may:

Quote:

Now in my experience, IFFSnooper doesn't clone like TMog (providing a new cookie and such) so it's not really necessary to clone the original pumpkin file. Just make a copy with a new name.

Yes, IFF Snooper does clone. I can't speak to how TMog does it, but yes, IFF Snooper will "clone" or "subclone," and yes you can put a cookie of your own in. Believe it or not I have one and I've done it. I got it because Sims College's beginner chair lesson said you should clone the cheap game chair which is the study and practice object. I had to "subclone" it, though, because of the way the object.far was "unpacked." (And I think it was Raeven who told me that too! And she's a PC/IFF Pencil hacker!!)

But anyway, yes, you can clone and use a magic cookie with IFF Snooper.

~Yersinia.

"Hand over the coffee and no one gets hurt."
Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Pumpkin Carving for Mac Reply with quote

Yersinia wrote:
(And I think it was Raeven who told me that too! And she's a PC/IFF Pencil hacker!!)

The key part there is hacker.
Your trouble with hacking is a lot more likely trouble with hacking than it is translating between the two programs. Everything I know of IffSnooper is from poking through the same documentation pothers have available, after all. The same requests for more information, for detailed manuals and what have you come from PC people too.

mmarie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been following the instructions and it's been working well so thanks for making them so clear smile

but I am having a small problem, when I get to the part where I copy the drawing from the 104 sprite to the 102 sprite it's different than on the instructions, the drop down dosn't offer for me to copy, first I have to click select all, then it offers me to copy, but then it turns the newspaper yellow when I paste. Am I skipping a step or something? or maybe I don't know how to use this darn computer jfade's psycho

M.
mmarie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now I am having another problem jfade's psycho which I really don't understand. I copied all the front views with no problem, except that my pumpkin is on bright yellow paper laugh

then I did the drawing on the back and when I click on paste to copy it the sprite turns over to the front and it dosnt copy. I am doing it the same way I did the front. This didn't happen when I did the practice one.

I hope the practice one wasn't just beginners luck and the best that I will ever do! laugh

M.
KarinL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Pumpkin Carving for Mac Reply with quote

Yersinia wrote:
Yes, IFF Snooper does clone. I can't speak to how TMog does it, but yes, IFF Snooper will "clone" or "subclone," and yes you can put a cookie of your own in. Believe it or not I have one and I've done it. I got it because Sims College's beginner chair lesson said you should clone the cheap game chair which is the study and practice object. I had to "subclone" it, though, because of the way the object.far was "unpacked." (And I think it was Raeven who told me that too! And she's a PC/IFF Pencil hacker!!)

But anyway, yes, you can clone and use a magic cookie with IFF Snooper.

With T-Mog, you program in your Magic Cookie, and every time you clone, T-Mog gives the clone your Magic Cookie automatically and changes the GUID.

I have not found a way to do that with IFF-Snooper... Maybe I'm missing something, though?

Because I discovered that a cloned object has the same GUID as the original, I figured that with simple objects cloning didn't give you extra benefits over copying... You still have to add your cookie manually.

So I use 'subclone' when it's needed, but I rarely use 'clone'. I just open the object from a folder and save it to my desktop. Then when I'm done I change the OBJD and rename the object.

I do have a Magic Cookie and I use it all the time. :D It's a neat one, the centre digits of my GUIDs are B8B8 which I think is *so* cool... Yeah, I'm childish, I admit it... LOL!!!

Karin
KarinL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmarie wrote:
then I did the drawing on the back and when I click on paste to copy it the sprite turns over to the front and it dosnt copy.

If you click on 'paste' to copy, then you're actually not copying the back sprite, but you're probably pasting your previous selection. :)

Karin
mmarie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you click on 'paste' to copy, then you're actually not copying the back sprite, but you're probably pasting your previous selection. :)

well, I am selecting and copying it first, then hitting paste...

I didn't mention selecting it first, I just assumed it was a given smile
KarinL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you mean when you hit 'paste' it seems it's your old selection that's coming up to be pasted and not the new one you copied just before. That's exactly what would happen if you paste without copying the new selection first...

So I would think something goes wrong when you're copying and your back sprite is not being stored to be pasted. If that makes sense??

When you click paste, the picture that is pasted is the last one that was stored in your buffer - which in your case appears to be the front sprite.

Karin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Challenges and Contests All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: