Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

25 Unpopular Foods

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluesage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: 25 Unpopular Foods Reply with quote

"De gustabis non disputatum"

http://www.koat.com/slideshow/health/30620218/detail.html
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. There were only about five things on that list I don't care for (one is mayonnaise) and nothing I absolutely hate.

This was timely to me as I had a conversation this morning with the lady who owns the local restaurant as to how so people seem to hate raisins nowadays yet when we were young they were very popular. I love raisins. And turnips. No one seems to eat turnips anymore either but I love them.

Not on the list were things that make me gag like fry sauce, fake cheese, chicken gizzards and poutine.
friedenlinde

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto, very interesting. Weird to see something like eggplant on the list - which, in Summer, here in Italy is eaten on a daily basis and in several different ways, from pasta to pizza to many other yummy recipes. And I love it, it actually makes me drool right now that I think of it drool laugh
And SPINACH?!?! oh my! try it out with parmesan and mozzarella, haters people! One of the yummiest and healthy things in the world.
Tuna fish! oh my... I can see why mediterranean diet is so different from US diet. I eat tuna with pasta almost everyday in summer wink
Broccoli? Peas? Brussel sprouts? EGGS?!? Mushrooms? surprise What the heck do people in the US eat? jfade's psycho All of those are tasty foods.
I'm ok with the liver and the oysters, I can't really tolerate those things either, but they are the two only food really "disgusting". And to me, the other is licorice, which I don't hate but I don't like either. I just don't care of it. All the rest is actually yummy things, if cooked in the right way...
Some things I hate? Hamburgers. And wurstels! they make me ewww.. Ok, ok, I do not eat some kind of fishes too. Some are truly disgusting to me, despite that I have been trying to eat it, but I gave up. surrender

Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really be interested to know how they compiled the list.
Here's a link to an online cooking show/website from my area- the Pacific Northwest near Seattle. I'd say the dishes on here are common to the region although in some towns the food tends to be heavier and starchier.
www.cookusinterruptus.com

(I always say this show and its subtle humour are very typical of this area.)
patos

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand either.

Like you said, Friedenlinde, that is a list of so many foods that we really enjoy.

And yes I am an American, even if I did live out of the country for ages!

friedenlinde

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure those are popular foods, I wonder how this list was compiled either? surprise
oh well laugh I was a I-hate-so-many-foods as a kid myself, but growing up I started eating practically everything - or trying it out, at least to know how it tastes laugh
Maybe it's a list compiled asking questions to kiddos and pre-teens? yes
Vegetables as peas, broccoli, spinaches, mushrooms are very common hated foods beneath kids. Otherwise, I don't understand jfade's psycho

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha! It was probably kids and teens.

But then again, I am visiting Argentina just now and even the young people seem to like all those veggie-type things!

laugh rolleyes biggrin who knows!

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buttermilk and Spam I can live without. Most of the other things mentioned are things that younger people can taste bitterness in, but never have a chance to eat properly prepared when their tastebuds mature (i.e. literally diminish laugh )

At 21, I thought broccoli and liver were nasty. Luckily, before I was 30, I was in situations where courtesy forced me to try them, and I found that I loved them both, if they were properly cooked.

In my house, all family members, even my parents-in-law, have always been required to eat one bite. So the mother-in-law who couldn't stand eggplant found that she loved it, hot or cold, cooked with tomato, celery, onion, and lots of basil and oregano. The fussy father-in-law who wouldn't eat liver loved it when it was served tender and pink. I've had visiting members one generation down, related or not, come back for third helpings of various veg, including turnip, spinach, brussel sprouts, and broccoli.

When I was much younger, a lot of the green veg mentioned were boiled, and could be quite nasty. Today, with microwave ovens, they can be steamed in less than a tablespoon of water, and eaten crunchy.

Send a few hundred of those respondents to my house for dinner a time or two, and we'll change the list to those things that really belong on it: brains: beef heart; unflavoured yoghurt without cucumber; mangoes; papayas (now there's something that really does taste like dirt); and spelt bread.

btw, the pic for beets seems to be radishes. laugh

17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I love beets. At one of my CSAs, they stopped growing beets because I was the only person, apart from the farmer family who ran it, who ate beets. To get through the beet-glut season I ended up giving them a chocolate cake recipe that uses beets (honestly! It's good and not beet-y at all!) in order to get some of the other subscribers to take away some beets. blush That blush is beet juice. Besides, isn't it funny when you eat beets then pee pink?

I grew up in a one-bite family. I thank my dear parents for that!
patos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I grew up in a one bite family as well.

I love beets, mango, papaya!

But I do not do brain or liver.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Cuisine All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: