Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gimp Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximum411

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Gimp Question Reply with quote

Hi. I am doing a tutorial where I have to copy just the shape of a selection, but not copy what's inside the selection (so I can move the selection outline to another layer). Basically, I want to move the "running ants" to another layer. However, the tutorial is not meant for Gimp. How would I do this in Gimp?

Thanks,
Max
mtaman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a TUTORIAL: Beginner Object Making with Gimp that should cover all the information you need.
maximum411

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but I am on the z buffer section of the Bunny Wuffles tutorials (very useful, but designed for photoshop). Until now, I have been able to figure everything out in Gimp, but the question I was asking was not explained in the beginner Gimp tutorial. I want to know how to make a selection that is the shape of the painting that I can put on the z buffer template. I tried creating a selection out of paths but it was not accurate enough.
Here is a link to the tutorial; maybe one of you Gimp users can figure out an alternative way to get the selection from the painting to the z buffer template. I need the selection on the z buffer template to be the exact same shape as the painting. I would get Photoshop, but I simply cannot afford to spend hundreds of dollars on a graphics program, especially since there are suitable alternatives (at least suitable for what I am doing) available for free.

http://sas.planetthesims.gamespy.com/bwsost/8zbuffers/page1.html

Max
Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a thread n the novice Nook that may help with the tutorial some
http://simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=512

It lists what tools are called in the 3 most popular graphics programs side by side along with a brief description of the function.

It does not tell you how to keep your selection while moving to another layer.
From a quick glance at the page (I'm not prepared to read the entire tutorial to look for the spot you are referring to) it looks like you wind up with a painting on it's own layer. What you can try doing is selecting the empty part of the layer with your magic wand tool (with anti-alias off and Tolerance/Range at zero) and then inverting the selection

Quote:
Paintshop Pro: Magic Wand
Photoshop: Magic Wand - contiguous
Gimp: Fuzzy Selection
* Selects local area that contains specific color

Paintshop Pro: (Use Magic Wand and edit that selection to include the others)
Photoshop: Magic Wand non-contiguous or Select / Color Range
Gimp: Select By Color
* Selects all pixels of chosen color in image

Quote:
Paintshop Pro: Invert Selection or ctrl-shift-i
Photoshop: Inverse or ctrl-shift-i
Gimp: Invert Selection or ctrl-i
* Reverses the current selection

The GIMP tutorial describes it here
http://simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?p=4642#4642
but selects yellow instead of the empty space around a painting.

I do not know if GIMP has a setting that lets you treat all visible layers as a single image or not but if it does you want this turned off so the selection is only paying attention to what is on your paintings layer, not the gradient beneath.

maximum411

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh- I figured out how to get it. I had to check off "sample merged" on the fuzzy select menu, and this lets you select objects from all visible layers, even if they are not on the layer you are working on. I went to the z buffer template layer, left the painting visible on top, put the threshold up so it would select all of the grey from the z buffer layer, inverse selected, and voila! I had a selection of z buffer that was exactly the same size and shape as the painting on top.

Thanks for your help everyone.
Max
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: